Thursday, June 4, 2009

LUNCH? TOO GODDAMN RIGHT!


Often the pastoral care of, and concern for, other clergy takes me out of my immediate surroundings, and today was one of those days. It was made even more special because lunch was involved, and my introduction to a marvelous place called the Triangle Pub. Now this robust and diverse establishment nestles in the demilitarized zone between the Sunrise Highway and Eastport, and is presumably so-called because it sits on a complicated, triangular intersection off Old County Road. An unassuming exterior clearly bypassed by architects, designers and painters, but enthusiastically patronized by both "profession" and "trade." In the parking lot Mercedes mixed with Ford pick-ups, with a few Audi and Lexus. One Rolls Royce, and two John Deere tractors. On entering I discovered a friendly sports bar with restaurant attached. The menu? An all-American selection. Simple and attractive. Cheap in price, but not in quality. The waitress? Straight out of "central casting" but with a razor-sharp humor. (Well, she had worked there for over twenty years, so her philosophy on life and her delivery of both food and comment had been honed over countless customers and covers.) Yet I simply had to record some of our exchanges.

Waitress: What can I get you to drink?
Me: I'll go for an iced tea.
Waitress: I've got a better idea. I'll go for the iced tea, and you drink it.

Waitress (to my colleague): Here's some extra napkins. The burger juices will run down to your elbows, and dry cleaning is too freaking expensive!

Me: Great table!
Waitress: So you like the window seats? I'd like a window seat. I haven't sat down in this place in twenty years!

Waitress (to my colleague): So - it looks like your beer glass has developed a leak!
Me: No way! It's hot in here. It's evaporation!
Waitress: Too funny. May I use that line?

And the best of all, close to the end of the meal...

Waitress: So, d'ya want coffee?
Me: Yes, I think so. What kind of coffee do you offer?
Waitress: We do regular and we do de-caff. This isn't the goddamn Hamptons, you know!!!

And she was so right, and the food was excellent. And her tip was generous!

1 comment:

Rev. Richard Thornburgh said...

Can you get her to write the punch lines in your next sermon?