Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Himbleton St Mary Magdalene

This is a pictorial post, as to tell the history of this rural parish church would be a mammoth undertaking. Simply put, the building is an ancient architectural hybrid, with a 12th century wall, 14th century carvings, and additions and revisions in the 13th, 15th, 16th, 17th and – you get the picture. There is also the possibility that the font is older than even the earliest stonework, but that cannot be accurately proven.

For me the significance of this holy place is rooted in the twentieth century. It is the church of my boyhood, and where my father was vicar. To this day I continue to return and always breathe in a deep sense of peace and tranquility. And take photographs. My latest I share with you.

SW view with porch and tower.



SE view



Clock tower - and the old clock is working again!



The Woodhouse Window above the side altar dedicated to Our Lady.



Detailed inscription in the Woodhouse Window.



NE view



The Lychgate.

No comments: