Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Knock, and the door shall be opened…


For more years than I care to remember, in all my travels and meanderings, near and far, I say my prayers along the way. I also feel that the company of the saints is important to my happiness, even if St. Christopher, the patron saint of travelers, has a very dubious provenance. But travelers are also guided by Raphael the Archangel, and let’s face it - we need air cover at times, and best of all by Our Lady. There is also St. Gertrude, the patron saint of those seeking lodging, and of course St. Jude, the representative of lost causes, of which I am a senior member of the Board of Management.

Please do not mock, but I take these sentiments and prayers very seriously, and to date they have rarely let me down. On a journey and visit I simply ask for good and interesting experiences, and that doors may be opened.

This short time on the Cape has seen those prayers (wishes?) fulfilled. I have wandered into the unknown, walked new paths, paddled new waters, and, in between them all, had great conversations with new people. With one exception.

The new and gargantuan parish church of Our Lady of Lourdes in Wellfleet simply had to be visited. I thought I had timed it well. Morning mass had ended, and the people had left. But the outer doors had already been locked. Saddened, I went on to thank God for the beauty of Gull Pond.

There’s a sermon there, somewhere… And a salutory lesson for every church.

No comments: