Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mid-Winter Blues?


February the eighth, and after twenty-four hours of bearable temperatures in the 40s the reality of midwinter has now returned with a violent windchill and two days of sub-freezing weather. Diverting on my way home from the supermarket I visited the narrow bays and inlets behind Mecox Beach (see above photo of today's angry skies) - places where I usually launch an early season kayak. The first week of April if the weather is kind and the thermal gear clean! Yet today the ice on Sam's Creek looks to be at least two inches thick, and the gusting winds were blowing the pale yellow reeds down to a most painful angle.

February. It is during this month of the year, with the distractions of Christmas and the New Year out of the way, when I start to get impatient for spring. And anxious to get back to my outdoor pursuits. Kayaking is hardly an option. Hiking is no fun when even the blazed trails are covered in iron-hard ice. Fishing has to wait until May. No, it is the most frustrating time of the year.

O Lord, give me patience. And give it to me now.

No comments: